The building administration shall have sole discretion in determining what school dress and grooming practices are appropriate under this policy. Specific requirements of the student clothing and grooming guidelines include, but are not limited to, the following:
1. No sheer or see-through garments
2. No excessively tight or sexually suggestive clothing
3. Clothing or accessories (accessories include, but are not limited to, scarves, hats, socks, earnings, necklaces, bracelets, rings and tattoos) that include any of the following will not be allowed:
- Alcohol, tobacco or drug-related messages or pictures
- Gang-related theme, messages or pictures
- Threat, hate group or discriminatory messages or pictures including symbols of and/or messages of hate
- Sexually suggestive messages or pictures
- Violent, weapon-related or profane messages or pictures
4. Outerwear (jackets, coats, etc.) are to be kept in a designated location and may be worn in classrooms at the teacher’s discretion.
5. All shorts, skorts, skirts, and the like, may not be shorter than the middle of the thigh
6. Shirts/tops must fall below the waistline and properly fit the student. Such garments must cover the midriff during normal classroom activities. Shirts/tops must modestly cover the front, back and sides of the body (no tank tops, halter tops, low or “strap” backs, low scoop fronts, oversized arm holes, spaghetti straps, etc.)
7. Pants, shorts, skirts, and the like, must properly fit the student and remain at the waist. Pants must be held in place by a belt or remain at the waist if no belt is worn. Oversize, “falling down” garments will not be allowed at any time.
8. Pant legs and skirt hems should not be dragging on the floor. Excessively wide pant legs are not allowed.
9. Shoes must be worn at all times. Sandals are allowed except “flip flops.” Students in grades PK-5, must wear shoes with backs or heel straps; backless slings or clogs are not allowed. Heel/platform height may not exceed two inches. No wheeled shoes will be allowed.
10. No ink or marker drawings of any type on visible body parts
11. No hair dyed a color other than a natural hair color (i.e., no blue, purple, pink, green, etc.)
12. All 6th, 7th and 8th grade students are required to wear a uniform for all physical education classes. The uniform will be made available for purchase through the school at registration and throughout the school year.
13. Any apparel and/or accessories which are determined by the building administration to interfere with the educational process as determined by Board policy.
A copy of the Dress and Grooming Guidelines is to be signed by a parent/guardian and returned to the school.
Possible consequences for failing to comply with the preceding guidelines may be as follow:
- In-school conference with student and/or parent
- Required to change inappropriate attire/accessories
- Contact of parent to bring suitable change of clothing to school
- Verbal contact with parent or personal conference
- Lunch detention
- Assignment to an alternative learning environment or after-school detention
- Loss of privileges
- In-school suspension
- Out-of-school suspension